How Your Lifestyle Can Increase Belly Fat
Although you do not have control over your genes, age, and hormones, there are numerous things that you can do to decrease the factors when you know that lifestyle changes increase belly fat. This is because you are partially or completely not aware of the type of food you are taking habitually and the consequences this habit is going to put you in. On the other hand, some of us are aware that the food consumed is not good for health but unavoidable because it is very tasty. With this attitude, it may be difficult to change life-long habits that contribute to the problem, but it can be done when you realize how dangerous belly fat is to your health.
What is the difference between belly fat and visceral fat?
Belly fat (subcutaneous fat) is what you can feel when pinching the extra layer of excess tissue and skin around your waist just below the skin. Visceral fat is the belly fat that accumulates deep within the abdomen in the areas that surround the organs.
What are the risk factors of belly fat?
It contributes to such diseases as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and others.
Measuring Your Waist Determines Belly Fat
* Stand up and place a tape measure around your stomach just above the hipbone.
* Position the tape measure to make it fit snugly around you.
* Relax, exhale, and measure your waist.
For men, a waist measurement of over 40 inches indicates an unhealthy amount of belly fat and a greater risk of having or getting health problems. For women, it is over 35 inches.
How Can You Battle Fat?
Abdominal belly fat can be toned with crunches and other targeted exercises, but those exercises alone won’t get rid of the belly fat. However, visceral fat will respond to the diet and exercises that help shed excess pounds, lower the total body fat, and aid in shrinking your middle.
What are some Recommendations?
* Concentrate on eating a healthy diet of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Fiber contents in the food we take help in smooth bowel movement. It also plays an important role in reducing cholesterol levels. This type of food helps to keep blood sugar levels in good control.
* Choose lean proteins and low-fat dairy items.
* Limit the additional sugar and saturated fats found in meat and high-fat dairy products such as butter and cheese. This is the worst type of food that accumulates bad cholesterol in the blood. This is responsible for all heart-related issues.
* Instead, eat moderate amounts of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats found in nuts, fish, and some vegetable oils.
* Avoid fried foods because they are rich in calories and saturated fats.
* Foods rich in unsaturated fat improve good cholesterol levels in the blood, which can decrease the risk of a stroke or heart attack. One type, omega-3 fatty acid, reduces irregular heartbeats, improves good cholesterol, reduces blood clotting, and more.
* Be aware of your portion sizes. In a restaurant, share your meal or eat only half and take the rest home for another time.
* Replace sugary beverages with water, where you can add a bit of lemon or lime or orange juice for taste.
Adequate dietary protein is an important factor in preventing weight gain. A high-protein diet makes you feel satisfied and full, increases your metabolic rate, and leads to a reduction in calorie intake. A protein diet is needed for the body to control body fat. Your body requires protein to maintain and repair tissues present. A good protein diet helps in reducing blood pressure. It also helps in fighting diabetes.
Almonds, walnuts, pistachio, fish shrimp, eggs, and broccoli are protein-rich foods.
Low protein intake may cause a gain in belly fat. Studies have shown that those who consume a high amount of protein are the least likely to have an excess of belly fat.
Stress and Cortisol
Mental stress and excessive physical stress play a very important role in maintaining individual good health.
Cortisol is known as a “stress hormone” because it helps the body when needed to mount a stress response. The more stress in your body, the more cortisol is released and this leads to a tremendous increase in body weight, especially in the abdominal region/belly. Constant stress can break down your body’s immune system. Cortisol, if produced in an excess amount, causes overeating, and is stored as fat.
If your body is not producing enough Cortisol, this is also not an indication of good health. If Cortisol levels are low, you will feel tired often, there will be no hunger, and blood pressure will be low.
Get Enough Sleep
Our brain is very much active during the day as it is used for various distractive purposes rather than focused activity. If your brain is used for the focused activity, stress will be very minimal, but it is not so, whatever work we execute, will be with a lot of distractions, hence the productivity levels are lower. The higher your productivity level, the more focused is your brain.
When you sleep, your brain is not at rest, it has its own functions along with the entire body. Toxins that are built in our brain during the day are removed while we sleep. A good night’s sleep keeps you very much healthy and active the next day.
Inadequate and poor-quality sleep leads to sleep disorders, weight gain, and added abdominal fat. A large study followed more than 68,000 women over 16 years and found that the ones who slept five hours or less each night were 32% more likely to gain 32 pounds than those who slept at least seven hours.
Being active can help prevent weight gain and abdominal obesity. The Department of Health and Human Services suggests moderate aerobic activity like brisk walking for a minimum of 150 minutes per week or vigorous aerobic activity like running for a minimum of 75 minutes per week. Also, include some yogic exercises which suit you.
Simple health tip:
For a Great Immune System: Do deep breathing exercises.
Once you get up in the morning on an empty stomach. Sit upright in a comfortable posture. With a calm mind, just inhale slowly much air as per your comfortable capacity, then slowly exhale the air. This simple exercise can be done for 10 cycles to start with, after a week it can be increased gradually according to your comfort and capacity.
Your entire body becomes relaxed and charged with full energy. You will have a pleasant mind.